Whether you’re returning to FC Sonora for another year, or this will be your first year with the club, welcome!
The club has had several changes in the past year that we feel will add to our members experience and some changes in store for next season that we are quite excited about.
2012-13 Season Recap
1. Several new items have been added to our website including our Hall of Champions, which highlights individual team efforts throughout the season, as well as the Coaches Locker Room and Manager Home, which provides useful information, resources and documents for our team coaches and manager.
2. We purchased an equipment shed for storage of new and old equipment. Teams this past year received a bag filled with pinnies and cones. These bags will be restocked over the summer months to replace torn pinnies and broken cones and provided to coaches in the fall.
3. Many of our players moved between teams to help out where needed on game days. This was extremely helpful to the teams in need of players and adds to the development of our players through increased time on the ball and exposure to new styles of play and coaching. It is wonderful to see that our members are working to support the club.
4. Girls from four different FC Sonora teams came together in March to travel to a college showcase tournament in California. It was great to be able to provide this experience for the girls and we will continue this next year by forming 2 teams to travel together to a couple of college showcase tournaments.
5. Our youth development program continues to thrive under the direction of Rachel Dunn and Steven Jackson. The energy and joy of the game that our trainers from the U of A bring to the sessions is absolutely wonderful. We are in the process of recruiting additional trainers from our graduating class of FC Sonora players to add to the staff of trainers.
6. Soctoberfest, our club tournament did quite well this past year. We had a total of 96 teams enter the tournament, an increase of 18 teams. With the help of many volunteers the tournament was a success. This is our big fundraiser of the year and is absolutely critical for continued support of our development and scholarship programs.
7. The club received over $1600 from on-line and team sponsorship donations. This is a significant increase from the previous year. Keep those donations coming!
8. We ran a six week after school soccer program at Sewell Elementary. Rachel Dunn and players for the FC Sonora 95, 95X and Venom Teams were the volunteer trainers. This provided not only a great experience for the children who participate in the program, but an opportunity for our older players to pass along their knowledge and love of soccer.
9. The club sponsored the inaugural Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) six-a-side soccer tournament at Himmel Park. All proceeds from this tournament went to JDRF. Through our team entries and the pick-up tournament on Sunday with the older players and coaches, the club was able to donate over $1600 to JDRF. This is the only tournament of its kind in Tucson.
10. Sean Young and Scott Heath have joined the group of administrators as the Associate Director of Coaching in Sahuarita and the web master respectively.
New for 2013-2014.
Tournament Teams – The club will form two tournament teams to travel to college showcase tournaments. One team will be composed of girls who are juniors and seniors in high school. The second team will be composed of girls who are freshman and sophmores. These teams will start training in July and continue during the regular season getting together one time a week. This will provide an opportunity for those girls who are interested in obtaining some additional training and taking their game to the next level.
Youth Academy – Although our youth program has followed the US Youth Soccer’s recommended development guidelines for several years now, next year we will become an official AYSA Youth Academy Club with the state association’s new U6 & U8 Academies program. As a youth academy club we will work with other academy clubs to organize Saturday festival game days, in much the same way we did this past year.
Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) - We are investing in all of our members. The PCA will conduct three workshops. One each for our coaches, parents and players. PCA workshops strive to establish three prevailing models in youth sports.
1. The Double-Goal Coach, whose first goal is winning, and whose second, more important goal is teaching life lessons through sports.
2. The Second-Goal Parent, who concentrates on life lessons, while letting coaches and athletes focus on competing.
3. The Triple-Impact Competitor, who strives to impact sport on three levels by improving oneself, teammate and the game as a whole.
PCA will provide email newsletters and tips to help us along the way. We are the first soccer club in Arizona to partner with the PCA.
College Prep – Although college may not be every player’s choice when graduating from high school, it is important to know our options when looking at the myriad of higher education institutions. Our club is dedicated to offering support for our players who are looking to attend college. From “How much will this all cost?” to “What options are there to play soccer in college?”, it is imperative that prospective students be aware of what different universities can offer them. Our club Vice President Joseph Embacher is willing to come to any high school aged team to talk to them about these issues. Joseph is able to bring his experience as a collegiate soccer player, a University of Arizona staff member, and a graduate from Arizona’s Higher Education Master’s program to let students and parents know what questions to ask when looking at a college. It is never too early to start thinking about options after high school, so please take advantage of this free program offered by the club. All that is needed from the coach or manager is a place to host the presentation.
This is an exciting time to be a member of FC Sonora, and we look forward to another exciting year of soccer. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, thoughts or concerns.
President FC Sonora